April 18, 2008

SHARE Program

In an effort to reduce our grocery bill, I have discovered the SHARE Food Network in my area. SHARE purchases quality food at a discount and in bulk, repackages it and distributes it to area pick-up sites. The food is then sold to SHARE participants for $18 per package. (The retail value of the food you get each month is estimated at $40-$45!) This is not a need based program, and only requires that participants contribute a minimum of two hours of community service per month.


There's no need to make a grocery list...you get what you are given. The challange then becomes finding interesting recipes to make to use all items in the SHARE package. Call me crazy, but I actually find this very appealing!


I was hoping to post a picture but my camera seems to be on the fritz. Maybe next month!
Here's what the April SHARE package contains:


  • Bone-in Center Cut Pork Chops
  • Breaded Chicken
  • Fully-Cooked Shrimp Alfredo
  • Ground Turkey
  • Slicked Turkey Breast Deli Meat
  • Hunts Snack Gel Cups
  • Frozen Sweet Potato Patties
  • Produce (Potatoes, Onions, Apples, Oranges, Lettuce, Green Peppers, Carrots)

No comments: