September 29, 2008

Last Long Run

On Saturday, I did my last long run around BWI Airport (10.6 miles) before the Baltimore 1/2 Marathon. It was the longest distance I have ever run and a real learning experience more than anything. I am prone to low blood sugar so the longer distance gave me an opportunity to practice eating while running. Eating was not something I ever thought I would need to "practice"!!! The running gels were totally gross, but the upshot was I didn't pass out. I guess these are the trade-offs we runners must make. I got to run some nice hills too. Where I normally run is very flat and not representative of the actual course, so the hills did me some good. I ran for just under 2 hours straight, with only three brief stops to walk...one to figure out where we were, one for a friend to answer her everloving cell phone, and one because I inhaled rather than drank my water (not recommended BTW). Overall, I feel much more confident about my ability to actually complete the 1/2 in my annoyingly consistent 10 minute mile pace. The next two weeks will be spent recovering my aching legs by x-training for the next few days, then back to running about 3 miles per day.

No comments: