May 8, 2008

It's Not Whether You Win or Lose...

I received a phone call from my nephew who was just bubbling over with excitement! He called to tell me his baseball team had lost 11-12! He lost, you say? But why would he be excited about that? He gave me the rundown of the entire game...how he had three (count-'em THREE!) hits into the outfield and that after the first hit the other team's coach had the outfielders scoot back when he was at bat again. I can only imagine what this does to a young boy's ego! He told me how this was the most runs his team had ever scored in a game, and while he himself didn't score, he did contribute an RBI or two.

I am incredibly proud of my nephew and have been so blessed to watch him grow up and mature. Through his one simple phone call to me, he demonstrated so many admirable qualities. He found joy and satisfaction in a job well done, even if the end result wasn't a win. He recognized his contribution to the team as a whole. He showed that he values his family enough to call us to tell us about what is important in his life. I am truly honored that he thought of me as a person he would want to share his successes with. Thank you, Danny!

No comments: