May 2, 2008

Lessons from the Garden

I love my garden, small as it may be. I am so excited this year to include my 2 1/2 year old in the planting/tending of it. My hope is that she will also love it like I do and this will become an activity we can enjoy together year after year. There are so many life lessons to be taught through a garden...over the summer, I hope to convey the following to my daughter though gardening together.

--Delayed gratification
--All living things echo the beauty of God
--Where food comes from
--Hard work, when shared with friends/family, can actually be fun and memorable
--Great things come from small beginnings
--Weeds are similar to sin in our life
--Caring for nature is part of good citizenship
--Giving generously the excess that our garden produces

No comments: